Kim Brown is the AAPS communications and social media manager in the Public Outreach Department.
Welcome to the birthplace of California: San Diego! Known for its deep-water harbor, extensive beaches, and association with the U.S. Navy, San Diego has recently emerged as a healthcare and biotechnology development center. AAPS is happy to be here again this week for the 2013 AAPS National Biotechnology Conference!
While you’re in town, we hope you’ll take in some of the sights and wonders of this great city. Here’s a peek at the top 10 things we’re sure you’ll love:
1. San Diego Beaches: In San Diego, the beach is a way of life, a source of pride and joy, and a defining influence in people’s lives.
2. SeaWorld: SeaWorld sits on a beautiful bay overlooking San Diego’s oceanfront. It is only one of three parks ranked in the Top 10 that enjoys ocean frontage.
3. San Diego Zoo: The 100-acre zoo is home to over 4,000 rare and endangered animals representing more than 800 species and subspecies and a prominent botanical collection with more than 700,000 exotic plants.
4. USS Midway: Prepare yourself for a lifetime memory aboard the USS Midway Museum. You’ll explore a floating city at sea and relive nearly 50 years of world history aboard the longest-serving Navy aircraft carrier of the 20th century.
5. Wild Animal Park: The Wild Animal Park is an expansive wildlife sanctuary that is home to more than 3,500 animals representing more than 400 species. Its renowned botanical collection represents 3,500 species and 1.5 million specimens.
6. Hotel del Coronado: Since it was first built more than 120 years ago, the Hotel del Coronado has been a beacon of grandeur and refinement among vacation destinations in Southern California and the world.
7. Balboa Park and Museums: Balboa Park—the nation’s largest urban cultural park. Home to 15 major museums, renowned performing arts venues, beautiful gardens, and the San Diego Zoo, the Park has an ever-changing calendar of museum exhibitions, plays, musicals, concerts, and classes—all in the beautiful and timeless setting of this must-see San Diego attraction.
8. Gaslamp Quarter: The Gaslamp Quarter is San Diego’s dining, entertainment, and urban shopping district.
9. Legoland: With over 50 family rides, “hands-on” attractions and shows, Legoland California provides education, adventure, and fun in this first park of its kind in the United States.
10. Seaport Village: A 14-acre waterfront shopping, dining, and entertainment complex recreating a harbor side setting of a century ago. Includes 54 one-of-a-kind shops, 13 casual dining eateries, and 4 fine dining waterfront restaurants.
What’s on your to-do list in San Diego?